I noticed today that my last post was my 100th post. That calls for a celebration! Aside from my husband, I have never stuck with anything this long. However, if I don't blog for a couple of days, my phone rings off the hook with relatives calling to see if I am incapacitated. So- after 100 posts (this makes number 101), over ten thousand blog hits and readers in 7 countries (how cool is that!)I have come to realize that I blog about my kids, adoption, world issues, random idiocies, lather- rinse-repeat without ever really blogging about myself. I am pretty sure I do that on purpose, because- well, it's hard to write about yourself. So today I am stepping out of my comfort zone and blogging 101 things about myself in honor of blog post 101. Settle in folks- it's gonna be a long one. And to be quite honest, I am pretty boring. So no guarantees on this one. Welcome to Megan 101- here goes:
1. I'm 28, but sometimes I feel like I live the life of a 45 year old.
2. When I was a kid I wanted to be a marine biologist- little did I know I would be terrified of getting in the ocean as an adult.
3. My favorite job I've ever had was when I worked in a bookstore in college. Actually- that's the only job I've ever had that I actually liked.
4. I can not speak in public without crying or making everyone around me cry.
5. I have tried every single diet known to man. And they all work- but only for 6 weeks.
6. I graduated from college in only 3 1/2 years. (I figured I could "beat the man" by taking 21 credit hours at a time since they only charge you for 15 hours)
7. I was a competitive swimmer for 9 years and while I love the discipline it taught me, I would NEVER ever do it again.
8. I hate to compete. I will gladly let you win at anything because winning doesn't matter to me a bit.
9. Some of my favorite books are Gone With The Wind, Jane Eyre, The Poisonwood Bible, A Million Little Pieces and Beach Music.
10. I got a varsity letter in college for being on the rowing team. Boats, that is. And it was really fun!
11. I met my husband in a bar.
12. When I had Sadie I did it all natural. I lost my insurance when I was 4 months preggers and the hospital wanted to charge me $1000 cash to have an epidural. All through labor I was ticking off the hours like dollar bills. Every hour that went by I patted myself on the back for saving a hundred bucks.
13. The second time I had a baby, I had insurance. And there was no way in hell I wasn't going to get an epidural!
14. My mom, my daughter and I all have a mole on our butt on the exact same place. (Sorry for sharing that mom. When you have to come up with 101 things, you have to stretch!)
15. I started coloring my hair when I was 15 and it took me until I was 27 to figure out how to get my hair back to my natural color.
16. I am a sucker for novelty rap. The raunchier the better.
17. I was an English major for 2 years in college until I realized that I probably couldn't make a career out of reading good books. Then I became a broadcast journalism major for a short while, but the thought of having to be on camera made me want to throw up. So I finally ended up with a communications/marketing degree, but I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.
18. My favorite passage in the Bible is Psalms 139.
19. I teach Sunday School for teenagers. I love teenagers. I am like a magnet for the really screwed up ones. The more dark and twisty they are- the more I love them.
20. I talk a lot (shocker!) but I don't really like talking on the phone- despite the fact that I talk to my mom at least 3 times a day and check in with my dad at least once.
21. I am obsessed with checking my email.
22. I love to write thank you notes. Actually- I should make that broader and just say that I like to write.
23. My favorite of all the household chores is washing the dishes. There is just something about having my hands in warm water that makes me feel calm.
24. I hate to cook but love to bake.
25. I am really bad at telling jokes. I always screw up the punchline.
26. I have a terrible addiction to diet Pepsi. There are days when I drink up to 5. *gasp*
27. I used to lie about what I made on my ACT because all of my friends did better than me and all of my cousins are freaking geniuses who made near perfect scores. I totally rocked the English portion, but since I can barely add, my math score might well have set a record for the lowest math ACT score in history. Which brings me to...
28. I barely passed college algebra. I only passed by one point. That could also be because I think math is so stupid that I only went to class maybe 3 times the whole semester.
29. As a baby, I had Kawasaki's disease which was recently in the media with the death of John Travolta's son.
30. I totally wear Spanx under my jeans.
31. I prefer to write in pencil or in blue ink. Never on a notebook with spiral edges. And I always print. I can not stand to write in cursive.
32. I am hyper organized and when I get stressed out or pissed off with my husband, I clean. Then I complain about how no one helps me clean. I know that it is totally passive-aggressive but I do it anyway.
33. I cry every time I hear the national anthem. When my brother was serving in Iraq I bawled like a baby every time I heard it.
34. Since I became a mom- I will also expand the list of song that make me cry to include The Little Drummer Boy. Kamron makes fun of me about this, but for Pete's sakes, that little boy just wanted to play his best for Jesus.
35. I like problem solving. There is just something satisfying about making a plan to get from point A to point B.
36. I think that after Miles gets home, I'd also like to eventually adopt a little girl from the DRC. Or maybe Haiti. Maybe in late 2011? Since Kamron rarely reads this blog, I don't have to worry about this information giving him a panic attack.
37. I am a mini-van mom. I fought this tooth and nail, but now that I've got all that space I could never go back. Plus my car has butt warmers and that makes me really happy.
38. It is not Christmas for me until I hear "Oh Holy Night" sung at the Christmas Eve Church Service.
39. Some jobs that I have had include: magazine writer, ad sales, retail, server, welfare to work trainer, office manager. And that was in a span of about 2 years. See- I told you I can't stick with anything.
40. I get a lot of big ideas but get stuck on the follow through.
41. I think if my extended family would all pack up and go with me, I'd go and be a missionary.
42. When my parents got divorced, I moved 9 times in 2 years. I think I finally at one point just stopped unpacking.
43. I am really close to my family. I mean really close. Like as in- we are all up in each other's business way too much. But I wouldn't have it any other way.
44. In the 8th grade I wore sandals every single day for a year (even in the snow) to win a $25 dollar bet.
45. I think that bras and pantyhose were created by Satan himself.
46. Some of my favorite TV shows are Grey's Anatomy, How I Met Your Mother, Glee, The Office and reruns of Friends.
47. As much as I hate to admit it, I have my DVR set to record "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" because for some reason those skanky Kardashian girls are captivating.
48. In 2007 I ran a mini marathon. It is one of my proudest accomplishments. I started training after Noah was born because I had to do something to get away from him and his year long screaming tirade.
49. I try not to get too political, but I tend to lean toward the right.
50. BUT- I think that all people should have equal rights and I extend this toward gay marriage. I may be opening a whole can of worms here, but I just think that everyone should be able to get married if they want to.
51. I go to a church where the only black person is our dear friend that keeps the nursery. This makes me angry at our lack of diversity every time I think about it.
52. I love my small town. I tried big city living for a couple of years when we got married and it just stressed me all the way out.
53. I never cuss in front of my kids, but when I get really mad and let one rip, I always crack up a little bit that I said those things. Somehow though, when we're in St. Louis visiting family and I talk to my sister-in-law about my mother-in-law's crazy irrationalities, I can let lots of 'em fly. Imagine that.
54. Blogging is my number one addiction. I could read other people's blogs til the cows come home. And some of the bloggers I've "met" are some of my dearest friends.
55. One of my favorite parts about blogging is that every few weeks I get a private email from someone who is thinking about adopting asking for advice on adoption stuff. I am no expert, but boy, do I love talking to prospective families about adopting.
56. Twice I have gotten addicted to Afrin. I swear that stuff is like crack for me. It would maybe be more accurate to say that I am addicted to breathing clearly.
57. I am completely OCD about washing my hands. If I touch anything, I have to wash my hands.
58. My parents thought about naming me Jillian instead of Megan when I was born. Even though about 73% of the baby girls born circa 1980 share my name, I still think they made the right choice.
59. I am not really big on other people's kids. I know that this is about the biggest anomaly with the whole heart for orphans thing, but other people's kids are always bad when I'm around them.
60. Pizza is my favorite food in the wide world and I could eat it for every meal and never get tired of it. My favorite pizza topping is pineapple.
61. The healthiest I have ever felt in my life is when I went vegetarian for 9 months. Then I wanted a slice of Thanksgiving turkey and it was all over from there. But I do think that one of these days I'll go back to being a veggie chick.
62. I hate bad grammar and spelling mistakes, but I do it all the time on here. My old English teachers would beat me senseless for the sheer number of times I blog a sentence starting with "and".
63. I recycle. We have all of our family recycling with us. They give us all of their cans and a few times a year Kamron takes them to the recycling center and puts all of the "can money" in the kid's college accounts. This is where the afore mentioned diet Pepsi addiction pays off.
64. I most look up to my Mamaw Daisy and my Granny Sadie.
65. I will only let my kids drink organic milk and eat organic meat because animal hormones and preservatives freak me out. Somehow though, I have no problem letting them eat cheetos (nothing that orange can be natural!) and all other varieties of junk food. Oh the irony.
66. For years, I have wanted to ride in a kangaroo pouch across the outback. I totally know that this isn't possible, but it would be sooooo fun!
67. Both of my grandmothers have had breast cancer and I am terrified of getting it. I am hyper vigilant and would just chop these suckers off if I could figure out a way to do it.
68. If I could have a celebrity rendezvous with 5 celebrities, I would choose Tommy Lee, Sting, Bear Grylls (from Man-vs-wild) Dave Matthews and Bono. Evidently I like rockers and men who eat elephant poop.
69. My favorite colors are pink and yellow.
70. I am fascinated by the summer Olympics. My life just stops for 2 weeks while I watch those athletes achieve their dreams.
71. I read at least one book a week. Sometimes 2... or 3. I can read at the speed of lightning.
72. I broke my elbow in the 3rd grade and it got me out of filling in all those stupid bubbles on the end of the year standardized tests.
73. I love looking at old black and white photographs.
74. I want to buy everything I see an infomercial for. This is why I do not let myself watch infomercials.
75. I don't like ice cream.
76. I love the beach and once my children are grown I want to have a big vacation home on the beach and have the grandchildren come and spend weeks at a time with me there.
77. I love my husband but on Monday mornings it is time for him to go back to work.
78. I have been lucky enough to have fallen in love a few times in my life, but I am so glad that I chose the one I did to spend the rest of my life with.
79. I love the smell of new babies, new cars, old books, clean laundry and soap.
80. I was the prom queen. There. I said it.
81. I graduated from high school and college with honors.
82. I was the vice president of my elementary school. It was just a fancy title for "person who makes the morning announcements over the loud speaker".
83. I think that maybe when my kids are in school all day that I'll go back to college and get my MS in social work. Not sure what I'll do with that, but that seems to be the next step for a lot of ideas I have swimming in my head.
84. One summer I had an apartment all by myself. It backed up to a graveyard. I had to fall asleep every single night with the TV on because I was too scared to turn it off.
85. As a kid I had a recurring dream that I lived in a house that was crooked. In the dream I would fall out of my tilted bed, roll right out the door into a creek full of mean hippos.
86. I am not really an animal person. I think it's because I'm so OCD about hand washing. If I am around animals I always feel like I can't touch them because then I'll need to wash my hands. Evidently this compulsion is so bad that I feel I need to also wash my hands after picking up Sadie's Zhu Zhu pet.
87. In writing this, I've discovered that I probably need a therapist.
88. Maybe I should be a therapist. See what I mean- lots of ideas, no follow through.
89. When I was pregnant with Noah I threw up at least 3 times a day every day for nine months.
90. I got married when I was just 21. I wanted to wait until I was 21 to get married so that I could drink champagne at my wedding. That seems like really stupid logic now.
91. I met Kamron when I was 18. He was in a band and wore leather pants and played music in bars every weekend. Since I was underage, He would make me sneak in the clubs by loading me down with gear to the point where you couldn't even see my face. I think maybe he just liked the cheap labor. Yep- I was totally a groupie.
92. I drive out of town to go to Wal-Mart so that I can wear my sweatpants without running into anyone I know.
93. I like to sit in the bathtub until my fingers get pruney.
94. I am a sympathy crier and puker. If I see you cry or puke I will follow suit.
95. I love 80's power ballads.
96. I pierced my belly button when I was 16. At the time I did not have the foresight to think about how gross that would look after being stretched out on a pregnant belly. Big mistake.
97. I only like cold weather if it is accompanied by snow.
98. I am Sadie's homeroom mother, which basically means that I spend a lot of time cutting out things that have been laminated.
99. I am the rare woman who doesn't like jewelry. Most of the time I don't even wear my wedding ring because it feels weird on my finger.
100. I am desperate to leave a mark on the world in some way. I just haven't figured out the best way to do that.
101. I love the feeling that comes with the completion of a task!!!!
And now that I've spilled it all- do you still want to be friends?