It's pathetic how much joy I got from this caramel corn today. I know- joy from food- I need therapy- yada, yada, yada. But y'all. It is that good. Ellen said I could share the recipe so that others may find joy in it's buttery, sugary, sticky goodness. AND it uses the popcorn without hulls so you don't have to contend with kernels. Double score.
Homemade Caramel Corn
7 quarts puff corn (the hull-less popcorn that's butter flavored)
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Line two large baking pans with parchment paper. If you don't have parchment paper, just grease the pans really well. Divide the puff corn between the two pans.
2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
3. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup and butter. bring to a boil over med heat. stirring to blend. let mixture boil for 5 min stirring constantly
4. Remove from heat and add vanilla, salt and baking soda - the mixture will be light and foamy. pour over the corn and stir to coat.
5. Bake for an hour stirring every 15 minutes to redistribute the caramel.
6. Line your counter top with waxed paper and dump the corn onto the waxed paper to cool. When it has cooled break it into pieces to separate. Store in an airtight container.
7. Try hard not to be a glutton and eat all of this at once. It is so good you will have to really try.