My kids are usually great little helpers (they help make messes, help spill things, etc.) in the kitchen. But, in the spirit of Christmas Kindness, they jumped in and helped me make dinner to bless our friends with. I decided to make one of my favorite casseroles. It is one that I usually only make on Christmas morning. Thus, we've dubbed it Christmas Breakfast Casserole.
|Christmas Breakfast Casserole. A food photographer I am not, but you get the point :-)|
Megan's Christmas Breakfast Casserole:
6 slices of bread (I think that cheap, thin sandwich bread works best)
1 3/4 cups of milk
1 pound of sausage (browned and crumbled)
8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
*optional- add bell peppers and onions to taste
1. Mix eggs, milk, sausage, cheese, salt and pepper together in a medium sized bowl.
2. Cut all the bread into small cubes.
3. Add the bread cubes to the egg mixture and stir until all the bread is evenly coated.
4. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan
5. Cover and put in the refrigerator overnight *I have cooked it right away after mixing and it doesn't set up as well. I would chill it for as long as you can even if you can't refrigerate overnight)
6. Bake covered for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
When I make this, I almost always pair it with hashbrowns casserole. My favorite hashbrown casserole recipe is a knockoff of a Cracker Barrel recipe that is delish. You can find it HERE.
My boys tearing it up in the kitchen.